Wednesday 26 March 2008

Job fairs

Welcome to AboutPaula and her views. Today I will be talking about a job fair that I went to yesterday. It was in a London hotel. I was applying for a job as a receptionist but I have a feeling that I didn't even get a consideration for it. Here I'll explain why.

Well, the day started off a bit rickety as I wasn't feeling very well. I was half decided whether or not to actually go to the job fair or not. After a few hours I decided to try it and got dressed up in my smart clothes and headed off to a hotel in Tower Hill. The hotel was very smart and I immediately felt a bit out of my depth. The receptionists and bell hops were very smartly dressed and I had a feeling that even if I had experience as a receptionist, I might not fit in well here!

Anyway, I asked for directions to the conference room and made my way up there. The room was packed out with people of all nationalities. Some of these people were reading or having a drink at the back of the room and it was obvious that they had already been here a couple of hours. I wasn't wrong about that as I found out later on. I hovered at the desk near the door waiting to be told what to do but nobody came for the ten minutes that I was there so using my initiative, I grabbed an application form and sat down to fill it in.

After another 15 minutes after filling in the six page form, a woman comes to the desk to call people in for an interview. They are doing four interviews at a time at half an hour a piece. In other words, it is going to take a long time to get through the people waiting! On hearing this news, I wait in line of about five people asking questions and ask the lady how long it will take to get to my name. She tells me that they will not be able to see me today but will phone tomorrow to invite me back. Since I cannot change that, I give my details hoping that they will call me back. They didn't!

Now, I have a gripe about this. It isn't the big deal that I didn't get the job. That really wasn't a surprise. My gripe is the fact that they were taking the people in on the day without having the time to look over there application forms, for an interview but because they looked over mine, I presume, they decided not to call me back. I think that it is unfair to treat half of the applications at face value and then the others just by there applications. Many people do not get jobs because they haven't been able to explain there applications. Like I said, I may not have got the job even if I had had the interview but I would have given it a good go!

OK, that completes my rant for today. Hopefully I will have another one for you tomorrow!

Paula

No comments: