Tuesday 4 March 2008

Declaring that you are a volunteer, what's the point?

Welcome to AboutPaula and her views. Today's post is really aimed at the British Government. I am currently looking for a job and as such, I need help paying the bills until such a job can be found. Now, I have been trying to get one but as yet, my lack of office skills seem to take a beating. Anyway, I have been helping out my sister in her group that she runs. She has set up a group for local mothers to to get together and let there children run around for a bit. It is getting quite busy and even though she has run it now for a few years, has its highs and lows.

Yesterday, when I went to sign on, I happened to mention that I volunteer there doing a bit of admin work. I hadn't really told anyone about this when applying for jobs because it isn't really based in an office but since reading a few websites on getting jobs, I decided to mention it. When I mentioned this to the person I was talking to, he asked me if I had declared that I was doing it when I had signed up for the job seekers allowance. I said no because I did not realise I had to, which I didn't. Since it is volunteering, I do not get paid for it and so had no reason to think it would matter.

Apparently it does, a lot. Even though I 'work' for free, it still has to be declared. I said that surely it is pointless that as once I get a job, I won't be doing it anyway and if it that much of a bother, I can stop doing it. That apparently does not matter because I have been doing it so even if I stop, I should still tell them about it!

Personally I think it is pointless for them to know that you are volunteering somewhere. Now if I was to get paid for it and they raided the place I was at and I got caught, then fair enough. I see nothing wrong with them being annoyed and if needed, sending me to prison. However, I am not getting paid for it so cannot understand what the point is for them to know. Just by saying 'oh yeah, I don't get paid for doing this, just thought you should know', just makes me think they will be saying, 'um, thanks?'! I dunno, maybe I am not seeing the point that they are trying to make or something so if anyone thinks they can clear that up for me, that would be great!

Paula

No comments: